5. Yang L, Samuels TJ, Arava Y, Robertson F, Järvelin AI, Yang C-P, Lee T, Ish-Horowicz D, Davis I. (2017) Regulating prospero mRNA Stability Determines When Neural Stem Cells Stop Dividing. bioRxiv pre-print
We are interested in discovering how mRNA localisation at the neuromuscular junction (NMJ) influences the growth of new neurons and how it effects how those neurons develop. We also aim to understand how the activity level of neurons changes how they grow and develop. This research area has potential to increase our understanding of processes such as memory and learning
9. Moore S., Jarvelin A.I., Davis I., Bond G.L., Castello, A. (2017) Expanding horizons: new roles for non-canonical RNA-binding proteins in cancer. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development. pdf
8. Pratt M, Titlow S, Davis I., Barker AR, Dawe HR, Raff JW, Roque H. (2016). Drosophila sensory cilia lacking MKS-proteins exhibit striking defects in development but only subtle defects in adults. J Cell Sci doi: 10.1242/jcs.194621. pdf
1. Josh Titlow, Francesca Robertson, Aino Jarvelin, David Ish-Horowicz, Carlas Smith, Enrico Gratton, Ilan Davis (2019) Syncrip/hnRNPQ is required for activity-induced Msp300/Nesprin- I expression and new synapse formation. bioRxiv pre-print
DeepSim Super-resolution microscope
In collaboration with the Micron advanced imaging unit, we are working on developing a cutting-edge bespoke structural illumination microscope to enhance our capabilities of working on fly neuromuscular junctions.
This project aims to develop a low-cost open microscopy platform. The system being developed uses a low-cost microprocessor, the Raspberry Pi, to interface with hardware and provide a user-friendly microscope interface. The project is developed with a strong focus on designing the microscope as a learning tool. To this end, the microscope will be low-cost, robust, and include many elements that can be fabricated using a 3d printer.
3. M. Garcia-Moreno, M. Noerenberg, S. Ni, A. I. Jarvelin, E. Gonzalez-Almela, C. E. Lenz, M. Bach-Pages, V. Cox, R. Avolio, T. Davis, S. Hester, T. J. M. Sohier, B. Li, G. Heikel, G. Michalewski, M. A. Sanz, L. Carrasco, E. P. Ricci, V. Pelechano, I. Davis, B. Fischer, S. Mohammed, A. Castello (2019) System-wide Profiling of RNA-Binding Proteins Uncovers Key Regulators of Virus Infection. Molecular Cell, in press, pdf.
Dorso-ventral patterning in the Drosophila oocyte
We use advanced microscopy techniques, coupled with a range of genetic and biochemical techniques to try to understand how RNA localisation impacts on early patterning and development in Drosophila embryos and ooctyes.
6. Yang C-P, Samuels TJ, Huang Y, Yang L, Ish-Horowicz D, Davis I, Lee T. (2017). Imp/Syp Temporal Gradients Govern Decommissioning Of Drosophila Neural Stem Cells. Development. 144(19):3454-3464. pdf
7. Titlow JS, Yang L, Parton RM, Palanca A, Davis I. (2017) Super-Resolution Single Molecule FISH at the Drosophila Neuromuscular Junction. Methods Mol Biol. 1649:163-175. pdf
Control of neurogenesis in the Drosophila larval brain
In this project we are working on understanding what mechanism determines control of neurogenesis from the stem cells found in the brains of fly larvae.
Screening for novel localising RNAs in the larval brain and NMJ
A wide-ranging screen to identify and characterise RNA that localise in the Drosophila nervous system.
2. Mantas Zurauskas, Ian M. Dobbie, Richard M. Parton, Mick A. Phillips, Antonia Gohler, Ilan Davis, and Martin J. Booth (2019) IsoSense: frequency enhanced sensorless adaptive optics through structured illumination. Optica, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp.370-379. pdf
Alongside my own research lab, I am also the Director of Micron, a collaborative, multidisciplinary bioimaging unit. Micron works with biomedical researchers across Oxford and beyond to apply advanced cellular imaging techniques to address key biological questions. More details can be found on the Micron website.
Role of RNA-binding proteins in neural stem cell differentiation
Utilising a combination of sequencing-based techniques and bioinformatics we aim to better understand how RNA-binding proteins are involved in determining what cell types develop from stem cells in the Drosophila larval brain.
4. Yang L., Titlow J., Ennis D., Smith C., Mitchell J., Young F.L., Waddell S., Ish-Horowicz D., Davis I. (2017) Single molecule fluorescence in situ hybridisation for quantitating post-transcriptional regulation in Drosophila brains. Methods. pdf